Shafter Parks and Facilities

The City of Shafter has six parks totaling over 30 acres for our local residents to enjoy. For more information on reserving a portion of a park for special occasions (birthdays, family reunions, etc.), please contact City Services at 661-746-5002.

The City of Shafter also has the Veterans Building Facility available for commercial and/or private events. For information on reserving the Veterans Building, please contact City Services at 661-746-5002. View the Veterans Building Facility Page for more information.

Mannel Park (600 Calloway Street)

Mannel Park is located on Mannel Avenue between Lerdo Highway and Tulare Avenue. One of the County of Kern's oldest recreational parks, Mannel Park features tall shade trees, several picnic areas, children's playground equipment, a gazebo for special events, decorative site lighting, and lots of open green areas. Mannel Park is an ideal spot for family gatherings or special events. View the Mannel Park Reservation Map.

Kirschenmann Park (400 E. Euclid Avenue)

Kirschenmann Park is located north of Euclid Avenue just west of Central Valley Highway (State Highway 43). Kirschenmann Park features a large baseball field complete with sports lighting for night events, an announcer's box, and snack bar areas. There are plenty of green areas and shade trees along the left and right foul ball lines.

Stringham Park (631 James Street)

Stringham Park is located at James Street and Lerdo Highway. Stringham Park features green areas, a playground, and picnic areas.

Rodriguez Park (215 Rodriguez Avenue)

Rodriguez Park is located on the north side of Los Angeles Avenue approximately one quarter mile west of Shafter Avenue. Rodriguez Park features a newly constructed playground area, restroom facilities, lighted basketball courts, picnic areas, a large fenced area for soccer, and decorative site lighting.

Town Square (320 Central Avenue)

The Town Square is located at Central Avenue and James Street. The Town Square features shade trees, water fountain, a stage for special events such as concerts and weddings, decorative site lighting, and lots of open green areas. 

Veterans Park (701 S. Schnaidt Street)

Veterans Park is located at the intersection of Schnaidt Street and Los Angeles Avenue. This newly constructed park offers open grass, restroom facilities, and two covered picnic areas. Veterans Park also offers a Splash Pad that is open to the public and is operational weekends only beginning Memorial Day until Labor Day from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m. Hours of operation may vary during extreme heat. View the Veterans Park Reservation Map.

Park Reservation Fees

  • Park use is on a first-come, first-served basis unless a portion of the park has been reserved which is highly recommended during weekends and holidays. Permits can be obtained by filing an application at City Hall and paying $10 per hour fee for a 2-hour minimum or $30 for a maximum of 4 hours to reserve certain areas of the parks. View the Application for Park Use Permit 

Guidelines and Information

  • Applicant must be 18+ years old.
  • Reservations are accepted no later than 12 p.m. on the Friday before a weekend event. Apply early.
  • Keep reservation permit/receipt with you at all times during your event. If your reserved area is occupied, you may call the Shafter Police Department non-emergency line at 661-746-8500 for assistance.
  • The use of amplified sound is only permissible by special permit only which generally required city council approval. Apply at least three weeks in advance of your event. Download the Application for Special Events Permit.
  • Bounce houses require  a Park Use permit. You must use a bounce house that has a certificate of liability and business license filed with the city. The insurance certificate must read as follows: Additional Insured: the City of Shafter, its Officers, Employees, City Council members, Agents, Boards and Commissions. 
  • Payment of any portion of the park fees paid is non-refundable. No Exceptions.
  • Changes to an existing park reservation must be made in person and is subject to availability. By bringing your original reservation application and receipt.
  • Consumption of alcohol is prohibited.
  • Keep in mind all reserve-able park areas are open to the public; therefore, cleanliness cannot be guaranteed even if you make a reservation.