The City Clerk is a department head appointed by the city manager.
Assisting the City Council
The City Clerk serves as the Clerk to the City Council. The City Clerk is the custodian of the Official Seal of the City of Shafter, and administers oaths and affirmations to the Mayor and City Council, and all city employees and volunteers. The City Clerk also serves as the Official Recorder of City Council meetings, and prepares the agendas and minutes for the meeting of the City Council, special boards and commissions. The City Clerk is responsible to maintain records of City Council actions and a permanent record of transactions including the City Municipal Code.
The City Clerk manages public inquiries, relationships, and arranges for ceremonial and official functions. The City Clerk is the compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act.
The responsibilities of the City Clerk include:
- As Elections Official, conduct regular and special municipal elections
- As Local Legislation Auditor, maintain and publish the City Charter and Municipal Code
- Act as Municipal Officer, accepts claims and service of other legal documents, and certify copies of official records
- As Political Reform Filing Officer, administer the filing of Conflict of Interest Statements filed by elected and appointed City officials, candidates and officeholder campaign filings
- As the records custodian, records, preserves, researches and provides for public access to records and archives
- As the Clerk to the City Council, manage public inquiries and relationships
Legal Notices and Publications
Agendas are posted at:
- Shafter City Council Chambers, 336 Pacific Avenue.
- City Hall Lobby, 336 Pacific Avenue.
- Shafter Police Department, 201 Central Valley Hwy.