Records/Reports - California Public Records Act

The Shafter Police Department receives inquiries from the community requesting reports or information pertaining to incidents which have occurred within the City jurisdiction. The purpose of this page is to help answer questions and obtain information on accessing records or reports which are typically requested by the public. 

If you do not see what you’re looking for on this web page or have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our records unit at 746-8500. And if you have suggestions or recommendations for posting additional information on this site, please let us know by emailing us at: Records Suggestions

Some records, such as crime statistics and related reports, are immediately available to the public via the police department’s website at:

Additional information may also be gleaned from the departments Citizen RIMS website at: How to use this program is detailed on the departments reports page.

Some record requests may be associated with the City Clerk. These requests may be for city claims, litigation claims, or other city related business. Please see the City Clerk’s page on this website here: City Clerk.

For Specific Information related to the California Public Records Act (CPRA) - Click Here 
or go to the button link at the upper left corner of this page.

To obtain record information as listed below, information pertaining to who you are and the reason for the request may be necessary. Although the law does not require citizens to fill out a form and sign it for certain records, personnel will need to verify information and may need to record a verbal conversation in order to validate what you may be requesting. The simplest way to obtain the records you seek is to fill out the fillable "Standard Records Request" form below.

Standard Records Request Form: CLICK HERE

How can I get a copy of a police report if I am a victim of a crime?

If you want to request a copy of a crime report, you must appear in person at the public service window of the police department or mail your written request to the Records Section. You can only receive a crime report if you are an authorized person such as the victim, the victim’s representative, or as provided in Section 6254 of the Government Code.

Victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking, Human Trafficking, or Abuse of an Elder or Dependent Adult are entitled to one free copy of their incident reports. Additional copies can be requested at the standard rate of $20 per report.

Report requests are mailed to:

Shafter Police Department
ATTN: Records
201 Central Valley Hwy.
Shafter, CA 93263

To obtain a copy of a crime report, you must provide:

  • A check or money order payable to the Shafter Police Department in the amount of $20.00. This fee may be returned to you if it is determined that no report exists.
  • The name(s) and address(es) of the victim(s)
  • The insurance policy number and/or claim number if the requestor is an insurance company
  • A release from the victim if the request is from an attorney
  • The type of report - robbery, assault, etc.
  • The date and location of occurrence
  • A Case/Report Number and/or Incident Number, if known
  • Proof of relationship for parents of minor victim or the spouse or relative of a deceased victim

If you wish to ensure that your minor child’s information is to be kept confidential and not available to the public or a restrained person, you will need to submit a DV-160 Form. Download the Confidential Minor DV-160 Form here.

How can I get a copy of a traffic accident report?

Traffic Collision Reports may be released to authorized persons such as victims, representative(s) of the victim, or such individuals as provided in Section 20012 of the Vehicle Code, by requesting the report in person or via United States Mail.

To request a report through the United States Mail, mail a written request and return it with a $20.00 check or money order payable to the Shafter Police Department to:

Shafter Police Department
ATTN: Records
201 Central Valley Hwy.
Shafter, CA 93263

Please make sure you written request includes:

  • Type of report – Traffic
  • Requester’s Name, Address, and Telephone Number
  • Shafter PD Case/Report Number and/or Incident Number, if known
  • Requester’s Date of Birth
  • Name(s) of party(ies) listed in report
  • Date and Time of occurrence
  • Location of occurrence
  • License Plate Number and State of Registration of involved vehicle(s)
  • Your interest in the report (i.e. involved party, authorized representative, insurance company, or parent/guardian). Include release forms for authorized parties and insurance companies and proof of relationship for parents/guardians.
  • Include the declaration, “I declare this statement is true and correct, sign and date your request."

How can I get a copy of my criminal record?

If you have been arrested by the Shafter Police Department, you may obtain a summary of your Shafter PD arrests. The summary will list the dates, charges, and dispositions (if they are on file) for Shafter PD arrests only. The summary will not include outside agency arrests. You may apply in person.

To apply, please go to the Shafter Police Department public service window between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

The charge is $17.00, payable by cash, check, or money order. You may elect to pick up your arrest summary or have it mailed.

If you have been arrested in multiple jurisdictions, it is recommended that you request your criminal history records from the California Department of Justice (DOJ) instead of requesting arrest summaries from multiple localities. For recorded DOJ arrest summary information, call (916) 227-3822. If you need additional help or desire to make a claim of alleged inaccuracy or incompleteness, you will need to contact the DOJ at: DOJ Criminal Records

You may also request a criminal history record for the purposes of immigration, emigration, and visas from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The FBI also furnishes national criminal history records directly to the embassy or consulate that is processing applicants. For further information regarding FBI’s criminal history records, call (304) 625-5590.

How can I get a disposition of my arrest(s)?

If you have seen a judge after your arrest, copies of Dispositions of Arrests can be obtained at the Kern County Superior Court courthouse. Please contact the Kern County Superior Court at 325 Central Valley Hwy. Shafter, CA 93263.

How can I get a police clearance letter?

Shafter Police Department Records section issues clearance letters or "letters of good conduct" to assist current residents of the City of Shafter. Requests for clearance letters may be made to the Records section at 201 Central Valley Hwy. Shafter, CA 93263, between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Clearance letters can only be requested by the person who is the subject of the letter with proper identification. To obtain a "letter of good conduct," you must appear in person at the police department with the following:

•    Driver’s License or California ID card indicating an address in the City of Shafter.

•    Cash, Check or Money Order for $25.00.

Do you provide LiveScan and/or inked fingerprinting services?

Fingerprints/Livescan services are available at the Shafter Police Department on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays. You must present a completed “Request For Live Scan Services” form. These forms are not available at the police department. Your perspective employer or licensing agency must provide them to you. There is a $25.00 rolling fee with other State fees applicable based on the type of livescan. State fees vary and are subject to change by the Department of Justice. Please bring with you the following:

•    “Request For Live Scan Services” form

•    Valid Photo ID

•    Applicable State and local fees

Inked prints are rolled with valid photo identification. The rolling fee is $25.00 for up to 3 print cards for the same applicant on the same day.