Code Enforcement Department is a division under Building and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the City of Shafter Municipal Code and other State laws.
Our mission in Code Enforcement is to advocate improving the overall quality of life within Shafter through ensuring compliance of property maintenance standards, identifying public nuisance conditions to eliminate visual blight, protect the value of adjacent properties, and to protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the community as a whole. The Code Enforcement Department’s main goal is compliance. However, dangerous conditions may be expedited, as allowed through the code for the common good of the community.
The standards address general health and safety issues on private and commercial properties.
Code violations are investigated by City staff and the proper steps are taken to resolve confirmed violations. Please call the Code Enforcement Department at 661-746-5002 to report a complaint or complete the Concern Form in detail and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Information received is confidential.
Code Enforcement responds to the following:
- Construction without building permits
- Improper occupancy
- Weed nuisance
- Abandoned vehicles on private property
- Inadequate sanitation
- Hazardous structures
- Photo or video of Illegal dumping
- Animal control
Code Enforcement does not respond to the following:
- Illegal dumping – City Services 746-5002
- Property Line Disputes – Land Surveyor Search
- Mosquito/Rodent Infestation – Vector Control
- Dust and Air Pollution – San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
- Manufactured and Mobile homes – CA Department of Housing and Community Development
- Tenant and Landlord Disputes – California Tenants (Please report sub-standard living conditions to Code Enforcement at 661-746-5002)
CITATIONS and APPEALS
A $25 dollar daily fee will be added to the fine after a citation has been issued. Daily fees will continue until the resident shows proof of correction.
Citations can be appealed by turning in a completed appeal form with the fine deposit within the allotted time. Please make a check or money order to “CITY OF SHAFTER”. NO CASH DEPOSIT WILL BE ACCEPTED. A written decision by the hearing officer will be mailed out within 2 weeks upon receiving the completed appeal form.
TOP MUNICIPAL CODE VIOLATIONS
LITTER, RUBBISH AND WEEDS SMC 8.36.040
- It shall be the duty of every property owner to abate any public nuisance as described in sections 8.36.010 and 8.36.020 upon his private property and upon the abutting half of the street and/or alley and between the sidelines thereof as extended
- The word "street" as used in this section, shall be deemed to include the sidewalk space thereof
WORK WITHOUT A PERMIT CRC 105.1REQUIRED.
- Any owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be performed, shall first make an application to the building official and obtain the required permit. Other projects such as patios, A/C, electrical, windows, water heater, etc. require a permit with the City.
INOPERATIVE OR NON-OPERATIVE VEHICLES MUST BE STORED OUT OF PUBLIC VIEW. NO TARP COVERS ALLOWED SMC 10.44.030
- It is unlawful and an infraction for any person to abandon, park, store, leave or permit the abandonment, parking, storing or leaving of any licensed or unlicensed vehicle or parts thereof which is in an abandoned, wrecked, dismantled or inoperative condition upon any private property or public property not including highways within the city for a period in excess of ten days unless such vehicle is completely enclosed within a building in a lawful manner or when it is stored in the rear yard which is enclosed by a sight-obscuring fence and is covered by a city-approved car cover of a manufactured canvas or nylon material. When covered with an approved car cover, additional objects or trash shall not be placed or stored on top of the stored vehicle and cover. The stored vehicle must not be plainly visible from the street or other public or private property, or unless such vehicle is stored or parked in a lawful manner on private property in connection with the business of a licensed dismantler, licensed vehicle dealer or a junkyard.
RV/TRAILER STORAGE ZON 10.350
- The following outdoor storage regulations shall apply in addition to any other standards and requirements of the various districts established by this Title: No sales, rentals, long-term storage, repair work, dismantling, or servicing of any motor vehicle, trailer, airplane, boat, loose rubbish, garbage, junk, or building materials shall be permitted in any front or street-side yard of any property, except where such property is an automobile dealership or an automobile rental lot; in which case long term storage for purpose of sale or rental shall be permitted. Repair or servicing of any motor vehicle may occur provided that the work continues for a period not to exceed 72 hours. Long-term storage shall mean storage for a period of 72 or more consecutive hours, respectively.
NO PARKING ON FRONT YARDS/ LAWN ZON 13.20.12
- No vehicle, as defined in Section 1.190 (Definitions) of this Title, shall be permitted to be parked on any unpaved portion of a front yard setback area, or on any paved portion of a front yard setback area not designated as an access corridor (driveway) to an on-site parking facility (carport or garage) on any lot located in a residentially zoned district in the City.
Graffiti is a community problem. Not only does it make our neighborhoods and businesses look unappealing, but it also affects property values. Ignoring graffiti invites more vandalism and will give the impression that it is acceptable. It will take the involvement, awareness, and participation from the community to deter vandalism.
- Remove graffiti from your property immediately
- Plant vines or shrubs in problematic areas
- Report graffiti to proper agencies, businesses
- Call Shafter PD at 661-746-8500 if you see any person in the act of committing the vandalism and;
- If the graffiti is deemed obscene or serious in nature, Public Works may respond in the removal of the graffiti using white paint
Should you have any questions, please call our office at 661-746-5002. We are here to serve you.
336 Pacific Ave.
Shafter, CA 92363
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.