- You are here:
- City Departments
- Public Works
Starting in July 2022, your trash service will change due to the new State of California recycling requirements. As you may have learned from previous City notices and outreach events, all residents must now have three separate carts and place the correct type of waste in them. American Refuse will deliver these carts to your residence and remove the existing City trash container you use now. The delivery will include an introduction from American Refuse with instructions on how to use these carts and what day they will be collecting on your street.
Answers to some common questions:
- You will continue to pay the City for your waste collections with your water and wastewater charge.
- The new rate will cover trash and greenwaste once per week and mixed recyclables every two weeks.
- The new carts must be placed in the street for collection.
- All collections will be on the same day of the week.
- Should you require additional containers, additional monthly service fees will apply.
- By offering weekly greenwaste collections, the City will no longer provide the annual brush program.
- Waste that cannot fit in the new containers should be self-hauled to the Shafter-Wasco Landfill.
- The rates for the three cart collections include a weekly collection of bulky waste if scheduled directly with American Refuse.
The City appreciates your cooperation. Please contact the Public Works Department at 661-746-5004 with any questions or visit American Refuse Website for more details. City of Shafter FAQ
Please visit the following sites for more information: