Responsibilities of the Refuse Division include:
- Collecting residential and commercial waste and deliver to local landfills
- Collecting residential green waste for organic recycling programs
- Sponsoring recycling programs and other waste management programs in efforts to reduce the overall quantity of refuse deposited in landfills
- Providing public education regarding waste management issues
The City of Shafter collects trash from local residents and commercial centers. Click here to enter your address and view your trash collection days.
Trash is delivered to the Shafter Wasco Landfill. The Shafter-Wasco Landfill is owned and operated by the Kern County Waste Management Division.
For questions or problems regarding city trash collection, please contact the Public Works Department at 661-746-5002.
For recycling information please view our Recycling Information page.
Green Waste Collection
The City of Shafter collects green waste to residential refuse customers in an effort to reduce the volume of waste that ends up within the local landfill. Green waste is collected free of charge by city crews from residential areas for the months of December, January, and February only.
During non-collection months (March through November), residents will be responsible for disposing of their own green waste at an approved location. Currently, brush and limbs may be disposed of at the Shafter-Wasco Landfill during normal business hours at no cost to residents.
Brush & Limbs Collection Guidelines Collection Schedule
Guidelines to follow when stacking brush and limbs for collection by city crews during approved collection periods are as follows:
- Brush and limb piles may be placed on public streets adjacent to the front of owner's property for collection by city crews.
- Brush or limbs must be stacked neatly in piles of no more than 10 feet in length, and a space of three feet must be maintained between piles.
- Brush piles must be placed so as not to interfere with
footor vehicle traffic or with water flow in the gutter.
- Brush piles must not be placed in the alleys.
- Do not mix leaves and limbs into one pile.
- City crews will not collect stumps or limbs greater that one foot in circumference.
- Any property owner having brush or limbs stacked in the public right-of-way during non-collection months (March through November) will be notified to remove and dispose of the materials at property owner's expense. Failure to do so will result in charges and/or fines to the property owner.
Universal wastes are common items we use every day that are now considered hazardous waste when they are thrown away. Universal wastes include but are not limited to:
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V, etc.)
- Any item containing mercury including thermometers, old thermostats, switches and relays, flashing athletic shoes, jewelry, greeting cards that play music
- Electronic devices such as computers, computer monitors, TVs, telephones, cell phones, microwave ovens, printers, VCRs, and radios
The City of Shafter is working with Kern County Waste Management to provide a local drop off facility for our residents.